CGI reports 2573million Q3 profit up from 2251 million a year ago

CGI reports $257.3-million Q3 profit, up from $225.1 million a year ago by The Canadian Press Posted Jul 29, 2015 5:10 am MDT Last Updated Jul 29, 2015 at 6:00 am MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email MONTREAL – CGI Group Inc. (TSX:GIB.A) says it earned $257.2 million in its latest quarter, up from $225.1 million a year ago.The technology consulting firm says the profit amounted to 80 cents per diluted share in the quarter ended June 30, up from 71 cents per share a year ago.Revenue in what was the company’s third quarter totalled $2.6 billion, down from $2.7 billion in the same quarter last year.During the quarter, CGI booked $2.2 billion in new contracts.At the end of June, the company’s backlog of signed orders stood at $19.7 billion, up $916.4 million compared with the same period last year.In its outlook, CGI said it expects to take up to a $60 million pre-tax charge over the next six months as it works to reduce costs and improve productivity.“A portion of the financial benefits arising from this action will be reinvested to accelerate our growth capabilities in IP based solutions, cyber security, and the digitization of client critical processes,” CGI chief executive Michael Roach said in a statement.“The remaining benefits will be returned to shareholders through increased EPS performance in fiscal 2016.” read more


Breast cancer drug that costs just 4p could save lives of women

first_imgA pill that halves the risk of breast cancer among high risk women and costs just 4p per day should be offered on the NHS, the drugs watchdog will announce.Guidance from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) will mean around 600,000 healthy women should be given the chance to take anastrozole.The drug has been shown to halve the chances of developing breast cancer for high-risk post-menopausal women. Women could be offered the drug by their doctorCredit:Andrew Matthews /PA Nice estimates that around 622,970 women would be eligible to be offered anastrozole by their doctors. It is thought that the new recommendation could save around 39,000 women over the age of 50 from the disease.Nicola Smith, senior health information officer at Cancer Research UK, said: “Taking a pill to reduce the risk of breast cancer is an encouraging new option for post-menopausal women at high risk of the disease.” Baroness Delyth Morgan of Breast Cancer Now told the Daily Mail: “Studies have shown anastrozole cuts the risk of the disease in post-menopausal women by more than 50 per cent in the first five years, and, crucially, it has fewer side effects than other preventive options such as tamoxifen and raloxifene. “However – like tamoxifen – anastrozole is not licensed for this purpose, and we are concerned that patients will therefore not be able to access this treatment, despite this recommendation.” A trial found taking anastrozole for five years cut the risk of contracting the disease by 53 per cent among that high-risk group. The findings about the efficacy of the drug  by Queen Mary University and Cancer Research UK three years ago were described by campaigners as bringing the scientific community “one step closer to creating a future without breast cancer”. The drug was also found not to have side effects like acute aches and pains.Anastrozole belongs to a class of drugs called aromatase inhibitors. It blocks production of oestrogen and is used to treat post-menopausal women with hormone-sensitive breast cancer. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. Taking a pill to reduce the risk of breast cancer is an encouraging new option for post-menopausal women at high risk of the diseaseNicola Smith, Cancer Research UK GPlast_img read more