Baines eager to work with Martinez

first_img The England defender was one of the players immediately linked with a summer transfer following the departure of boss David Moyes to Manchester United. However, the 28-year-old is eager to start work on a new philosophy under Martinez and believes he and his team-mates can make it effective at Goodison Park. One of the criticisms of Martinez is that he did not win enough games at Wigan and despite lifting the FA Cup he took the team down after eight years in the Premier League. But Baines looks at the Spaniard’s work far more positively, and said: “He was one of the first names linked with the job and the feeling straight away was he would be a great appointment.” Press Association Everton defender Leighton Baines is looking forward to working with new manager Roberto Martinez and believes the quality of the Toffees’ squad will give the Spaniard every chance of success.center_img He added: “He has a different style to what we have been used to but I think it is progressive and it will move us forward. It is also exciting for the players to be able to try that now. “The style in general appeals to a lot of people. Wigan were a great side to watch – they just didn’t win enough games. “But the manager will be working with some better players here and he will be looking forward to that as well now, being able to put his plan out there. “We have got good players at the club who could probably execute the style of play better than the players he’s worked with before, without being disrespectful to them. “He might have a little bit more confidence in the players – I am sure he had confidence in the players he had then but here are some really top players he can look forward to working with. “We have time to work on it, whether it is a different style of play or whether the formation changes. “By the time we kick the first ball of the season we will be well-versed on what he wants to do.” last_img read more


Marney sticks with Clarets

first_img Press Association Marney played 22 times for Burnley this year before his season was cut short by a serious knee injury he suffered against West Brom in February. The 31-year-old’s contract was due to expire next month, but Burnley revealed on Friday the midfielder had agreed a new deal that will run until the end of next season. The Lancashire club, who were relegated to the Sky Bet Championship last week, have an option to extend that deal by a further 12 months. Marney, who joined Burnley from Hull in 2010, is making “good progress” in his return from injury, Sean Dyche said on Thursday. The Burnley boss hopes the former Spurs midfielder will return to action at some point next season. center_img Burnley have announced that midfielder Dean Marney has signed a 12-month contract extension.last_img read more