City Says Federal Funds Were Not Used in Alleged Embezzlement

first_imgCity Says Federal Funds Were Not Used in Alleged EmbezzlementMARCH 19TH, 2018 Lauren Leslie LAUREN LESLIE EVANSVILLE, INDIANA The city entity that distributes funds to ECHO Housing Corporation says unequivocally, it can confirm no federal dollars were used to pay Stephanie Tenbarge’s property taxes.Last week ECHO announced, then, Executive Director Tenbarge was stepping down. On Friday we learned the former director used ECHO funds to pay taxes on personally owned properties.Kelley Coures with the Department of Metropolitan Development says the city uses a check reimbursement system when distributing federal funds. Additionally, the federal government tracks where the dollars go, “HUD requires us to not only pay the claims based on reimbursable but then once a year my staff, three people from my staff, go to an agency like ECHO and they make sure their books match our books,” said Course.The last time the city checked its records with ECHO was in October 2017 and everything matched up. ECHO provides housing and assistance to people in economic crisis. Going forward the Department of Metro Development says it will continue to work with interim director Chris Metz.Evansville Police say there is no criminal investigation into Tenbarge’s alleged actions at this time.Lauren LeslieFacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailSharelast_img read more


The Latest: Tottenham players flout virus guidelines

first_imgThe DeVos family previously announced a $2 million compensation fund for Orlando Magic, Amway Center, Lakeland Magic and Orlando Solar Bears hourly workers for games and time missed during the COVID-19 suspension of seasons. Several Magic players and Magic coach Steve Clifford have also championed various charitable causes during the pandemic.___Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has urged his players to accept a pay cut amid the coronavirus pandemic.Al-Khelaifi says in an interview with RMC radio that he is “expecting them to make an effort for the club. They know their responsibilities.”Players on French clubs are all on temporary layoffs. That means a small cut in pay of 16 percent and the state picks up a portion of the rest. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Serge Aurier has become the latest player from English club Tottenham to flout government guidelines during the coronavirus outbreak after posting videos of him training with teammate Moussa Sissoko. The Ivory Coast defender has now deleted the videos on his Instagram story, which showed him running shuttles and sitting next to Sissoko, disregarding social distancing. Aurier was wearing a face mask.It wasn’t clear where the two players were training.Tottenham says “we shall be speaking to both players involved.”It comes about two weeks after Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho was pictured holding a one-on-one training session in north London with midfielder Tanguy Ndombele, while two other players ran nearby. Mourinho later acknowledged his session was “not in line with government protocol.”Guidelines say people can only exercise outdoors on their own or with members of the same household. The governors of German states Bavaria and North Rhine-Westphalia have called for a restart of soccer on May 9 but not all states are on board.___The second edition of FIA’s Motorsport Games has been postponed until next year because of the coronavirus pandemic.The multi-disciple event between various nations was scheduled for Oct. 23-25 at the Circuit Paul Ricard near designated host city Marseille. The new dates are Oct. 22-24 next year at the same place.The next games are set to see the introduction of rally and historic motorsport events. ___UEFA is softening its tone toward organizers of national leagues and cups who want to end seasons early before completing all games.After talking with its 55 member federations, UEFA says that “some special cases will be heard“ after guidelines are confirmed for entry paths to next season’s Champions League and Europa League. Those guidelines could be approved Thursday by UEFA’s executive committee.After Belgium’s top-tier league said this month it wanted to declare current standings final, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin warned that countries risked losing European competition entries if they took premature decisions. UEFA’s previous directive was toned down to “a strong recommendation“ Tuesday to try to complete domestic seasons. The Latest: Tottenham players flout virus guidelines The KBO says it could shorten the regular season if infections erupt. The league will advise players to wear face masks in locker rooms and require them to download smartphone apps to report their daily health status to league officials.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The lockdown in Italy is scheduled to expire after May 3.___The ownership of the Orlando Magic have announced a $50,000 donation to a Central Florida food bank and have teamed with Papa John’s to offer a way for their fans to support food-insecure families as well.The DeVos family announced the donation to the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida. Through May 20 fans can also see 25% of their online-order price at Orlando-area Papa John’s restaurants donated to the food bank as well.Magic CEO Alex Martins says “this has been a focus for us over the years, and now more than ever this remains a priority. We will continue to work together to make sure we assist those most vulnerable.” Paul Ricard also hosts a Formula One race. It is scheduled for June 28 but widely expected to become the 10th of 22 races this season to be called off amid the virus outbreak.___South Korea’s professional baseball league has decided to begin its season on May 5.The games will be played without fans until the risk of infection from the coronavirus is gone.The league plans to maintain a 144-game regular-season schedule but has decided scrap its all-star game and shorten the first round of the playoffs from a best-of-five to best-of-three series. The 16-nation playoffs have twice been postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic. Euro 2020 has been delayed one year.Csányi tells Hungarian media that October and November are options while there is uncertainty about when soccer can resume in Europe. All 55 UEFA member countries are currently scheduled to play Nations League games in October and November.Hungary was drawn to play at Bulgaria in the single knockout Euro 2020 playoffs. The winner will host either Iceland or Romania with a place in the final tournament at stake.Hungary is one of 12 host nations of Euro 2020.___ Associated Press The deputy head of Germany’s national disease control center has cautioned against coronavirus testing for soccer players in order to restart the league.Regular testing of players and team staff is a key element of a plan to resume German soccer in empty stadiums next month.Robert Koch Institute vice president Lars Schaade says he doesn’t “see why certain sections of the population … should be routinely screened.”Schaade says he would prefer testing to be focused on people who show symptoms or who are linked to an outbreak of the virus.Clubs are eager to resume the Bundesliga to avoid financial losses. They are negotiating a tricky political landscape and opposition from some fan groups. Players at clubs in other countries have taken large pay cuts amid the uncertainty.PSG’s squad includes world-class players Neymar, Kylian Mbappé, Ángel Di María and Edinson Cavani.Al-Khelaifi says “our wage bill is of substantial volume” and “we risk suffering colossal losses” at the end of the season.___UEFA vice president Sándor Csányi says playoffs to decide the last four places in the postponed European Championship could be played in October or November. Domestic club soccer aims to play into July and August — if resuming games is even possible — with UEFA hoping to complete the Champions League and Europa League later in August.___The 20 clubs in Italy’s top soccer division have unanimously voted in favor of finishing the current season.The Lega Serie A held an assembly with the 20 clubs by videoconference. It released a statement saying all clubs voted “to carry on the 2019-2020 season to the end, if the government allows it to happen.”Serie A has been suspended since the government ordered a nationwide lockdown more than a month ago. Twelve rounds remain along with four games that were postponed from the weekend of Feb. 22. April 21, 2020last_img read more


Clippers’ Ivica Zubac says basketball kept him motivated through 2020’s challenges

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2 “I don’t think any of us was away from the game for that long,” Zubac said Sunday, before leaving the fanless AdventHealth Arena shortly after the Clippers’ loss to the Nets — in which he pulled down 15 rebounds, his fourth consecutive game with at least 10 boards.“Just that hope that we were gonna return, just waiting for that date to come up,” he said. “Working every day, because we know we’ve got a bigger goal and we all know why we’re here, we know we want to win the championship. That’s what kept me sane.”Wasn’t easy, though, he said.When the pandemic interrupted life — including basketball — in the United States in March, the 23-year-old was in a groove in his first full season with the Clippers, contributing 8.0 points and 7.2 rebounds as the starting center on a championship contender.Then, on March 24, just a couple weeks after the NBA paused play without any real idea when or how it might resume as the coronavirus was ravaging the world, a destructive 5.3-magnitude earthquake rocked Zagreb, Croatia. Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum “He’s been doing it all season, he’s just able to get more minutes,” Kawhi Leonard said, via Zoom, on Sunday. “He’s been very active on the offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, blocking shots. He’s doing a good job for us.”Doing a good job and feeling good, too, Zubac said. Really good.“I can’t say I’m feeling tired or anything, I’m feeling great,” he said. “I’m happy, and I’m happy nothing serious happened and I’m able to play again.”center_img Clippers’ Paul George: ‘If I make shots, this series could be a little different’ The temblor destroyed nearly 2,000 buildings and left many residents without electricity, heat and internet in the city where Zubac lived for about six years and maintains many close friendships.“I had a lot of friends that I consider as family affected by it,” he said. “Fortunately, no one got hurt, but it was a tough period for the country. We all came together and we tried to help as much as we could, the athletes included. It was just tough, especially because it happened in the middle of a pandemic. Everyone was trying to stay in when that happened, but a lot of people’s apartments were ruined, a lot of people ended up on the streets.“It was tough seeing it from over here, but Croatians are tough people. They’re gonna rebuild, but it’s a tough thing.”Zubac donated funds to the recovery effort, an offering that was matched by the NBPA in May, when it announced it was directing more than $500,000 to both coronavirus relief activities and disaster relief in Croatia, where money was funneled to rebuilding efforts and to a Zagreb hospital.Otherwise, Zubac said he spent the hiatus determined to emerge from it stronger and better.“I worked out throughout the whole stoppage time,” he said. “I worked super hard. I was in great shape, I was lifting a lot, I got much stronger.”“And then, the week before we were about to go to Orlando, that happened to me.”Zubac contracted the coronavirus, which he said left him fatigued and aching, and unable to exercise for 10 days. It undid much of his progress over the previous four months and delayed the return to competition he’d so been longing for.He said he quarantined with his fiancee, who also had the disease but was asymptomatic.“I’m happy I had her with me,” Zubac said. “If I were by myself, I don’t know how that would have ended up, I would probably go crazy. It’s super tough going to test every day, hoping for negative and the doctor calls you and says, ‘You’re positive again.’ And to get that for three weeks, it messes with your mind. But I’m happy I had her with me and we got through it together.“I don’t even know how I got it,” Zubac continued. “That’s what people don’t realize, it takes just a little bit to get it and all the things that the NBA is doing here, making it tough for people to get out and come in and all that, all the masks, all the social distancing and everything, you gotta be like that.”Meanwhile, his teammates were across the country, acclimating to bubble life and preparing to play basketball without him.“It was tough. It was frustrating,” he said. “Everyone else went there and I had to stay at home. I couldn’t go anywhere, I couldn’t work out at a facility. The first seven to 10 days, I couldn’t do nothing. I was super tired and had overall body aches and everything.“After that period I started doing some stuff at home, I got a bike, so I was working on my conditioning, just a little bit of lifting. And when I finally got the cleared all the NBA protocols, got here and straight into it.”Straight into the Clippers’ final scrimmage July 27, when the 7-footer played 13 minutes, made his only shot and collected six rebounds and four fouls.Since then, Zubac’s conditioning has improved, and his play has reflected it. He’s made the most of more playing time, his minutes-per-game average increased from 18.1 before the hiatus to 22.9 in the bubble, where the Clippers have been without reserve center Montrezl Harrell, who was, until just the past day, away from the team, mourning the death of his grandmother.During seeding games — in which the Clippers are 3-3 — Zubac is averaging 10.7 points and 11.0 rebounds per game. He’s shooting 67.6% from the field. He’s also averaging close to two assist per game, setting helpful screens and dissuading opponents from driving to the rim.Related Articles LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. >> This year that keeps giving and giving, it didn’t leave out Ivica Zubac.In the past few months, the Clippers’ good-natured center has been touched by a pandemic, an earthquake and a taxing case of FOMO.Now, at last, he has basketball back.That’s been the one thing, he said, that’s buoyed him and his teammates through recent challenges. And it’s been a glorious reunion for the Croatian big man, who’s attacked his time on the court with purpose and verve, and with a fresh appreciation. Game 4 photos: Luka Doncic, Mavs shock Clippers in overtime last_img read more


Raiders a smaller long shot to win Super Bowl 54 after news of Antonio Brown trade

first_img BENDER: AB can avoid a TO-like end to his career The city that will host the Raiders in the near future is changing its opinion of the 2019 edition of the squad after Sunday’s news that Antonio Brown will be joining the Silver and Black.Caesars Palace in Las Vegas dropped its odds of Oakland winning Super Bowl 54 from 75-1 to 50-1, Pro Football Talk and Bleacher Report reported.  The Raiders finished 4-12 last season under new/old coach Jon Gruden. PFT and B/R did not report on any change to the Steelers’ odds. Vegasinsider.com had Pittsburgh listed at 20-1 before the Brown trade was reported (it also had the Raiders at 100-1).The favorites in the futures market according to Vegasinsider.com are the Super Bowl champion Patriots and the Chiefs at 7-1 each.last_img read more