The Edwin O. Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies seeks submissions for its 2010 Noma-Reischauer Prizes in Japanese Studies, given to the undergraduate and graduate students with the best essays on Japan-related topics. The submission deadline is June 21 by 5 p.m., and $3,000 will be awarded for the best graduate student essay and $2,000 for the best undergraduate student essay.Papers written this academic year are eligible, including course and seminar papers, A.B. or M.A. theses, or essays written specifically for the competition. Doctoral dissertations are excluded from consideration. For application guidelines and further information, visit the Reischauer Institute Web site or call 617.495.3220.
Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum Game 4 photos: Luka Doncic, Mavs shock Clippers in overtime The Clippers (44-20) were scheduled to host the Nets (30-34) on Friday at Staples Center as public health emergencies have been declared in Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties and officials have confirmed the first Coronavirus death and a total of 29 infections in L.A. County.“It’s all very strange and awkward,” Golden State coach Steve Kerr said Tuesday. “We are just going to do what we are told to do and go from there.”“All we do is read and hear about it all,” Rivers said. “We are getting great stuff from our league and they are trying to educate us to the best of their capabilities, but we still don’t know and if I could advise anyone it is to be cautious. We just don’t know, and don’t think you know.”The NBA announced Monday that it was barring non-essential staff from locker rooms after previously recommending that players should stick to fist bumps with fans and avoid taking items such as pens and balls to autograph.The Clippers were scheduled Thursday to hold their first non-game media availability since the introduction of the new guidelines on Monday, when teams were instructed to establish a buffer of at least 6 feet between players and reporters. For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory The decision to take all the precautions came when the game between the Jazz and the Oklahoma City Thunder at Chesapeake Energy Arena was abruptly canceled just before it was set to tip off. Soon thereafter, the NBA announced that it would go on hiatus following tonight’s action to determine its next steps.Losing games is expected to incur losses in the hundreds of millions of dollars for the league.On Tuesday, in their final game before the season was suspended, the Clippers walloped the host Warriors 131-107 before a smaller-than-usual crowd at Chase Center – “I was surprised that there were that many fans,” Clippers coach Doc Rivers told reporters at the game, which was played before large pockets of empty seats. The following morning, Golden State officials met with San Francisco Mayor London Breed before announcing that they would bar fans from a home game, starting with Thursday’s previously scheduled contest against the Brooklyn Nets.Clippers forward Paul George said Tuesday night he was prepared to play on – with or without a crowd.“We are no different, everyone is pretty much worried about the virus,” George said. “It makes no difference, we have a job to do, just like everybody else has a job to do and they go out and do their job. Clippers’ Paul George: ‘If I make shots, this series could be a little different’ Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “If it’s fans or it isn’t fans, we play ball. We hoop and we’ll go with it.”Kawhi Leonard acknowledged that it would be strange to perform in an empty arena.“It would probably feel like a scrimmage or an open scrimmage,” said Leonard, who scored 23 points in 25 minutes on Tuesday. “I’m not sure how the feel would be. It would be very different if it comes to that. Hopefully, the fans aren’t mad or anything; I think it’s just up to (the NBA league office) and also the fans as to whether they wanna come to the game or not.”Now, no one will gather at NBA games – in line with a recommendation from Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told lawmakers at a congressional hearing Wednesday that he recommended the NBA play games without crowds because of the fast-moving outbreak.Related Articles When the World Health Organization declared the global coronavirus crisis to be a pandemic on Wednesday, the agency’s leader Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus fretted about “the alarming levels of inaction” around the globe.The NBA took action Wednesday night – after Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert preliminarily tested positive for COVID-19, the league said in a statement.Following the announcement earlier Wednesday that all of the Division I men’s and women’s NCAA Tournament basketball games will be staged in arenas without fans, there was a report from ESPN that the NBA was said to be weighing whether to follow suit and announce that it too will continue playing and televising games during the coronavirus crisis, albeit in largely empty arenas, or whether it would take a hiatus for a period of time.“If you’re gonna take precautions … take all the precautions,” Clippers guard Lou Williams tweeted before the decision Wednesday. What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2
Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comment (1) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. +2 Vote up Vote down mom2mykids · 208 weeks ago Congrats to all of you….Julie Hibbs…you are a super nurse…!! Report Reply 0 replies · active 208 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Left to Right:Â Linda Berger (25 years), Linda Allender (25 years), Maria Newman (10 years), Pat Ringo-Schneider (5 years), Judi Fink (15 years), Julie Hibbs (20 years), Nancy Driver (15 years), Roanna Fritzler (30 years) and Channity Farley (15 years).by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow â€” Sumner Regional Medical Center held an employment recognition dinner at Barefoot Jerry’s Pub and Grill Tuesday evening. Nine SRMC employees were recognized for years of service at the local hospital.Those recognized for the following consecutive years of service were:30 years: Roanna Fritzler.25 years: Linda Berger and Linda Allender.20 years: Julie Hibbs.15 years: Judi Fink, Channity Farley and Nancy Driver.10 years: Maria Newman.Five years: Pat Ringo-Schneider.Follow us on Facebook.Follow us on Twitter.
Timothy Vanmaalson, who turned 16 on Tuesday, was remanded to prison after he was charged for the murder of a 72-year–old and appeared at the Cove and John Magistrate’s Court.Vanmaalson was not required to plead to the indictable charge of murder when he stood before Magistrate Peter Hugh. It is alleged that the teen killed Krishnachand Dabee of Lot 149 Annandale South, East Coast Demerara, on August 27, 2018.Reports are the man’s body was discovered at about 19:00h on August 27, 2018, by his daughter and Police. Guyana Times had previously reported that the pensioner’s daughter, a lecturer at the University of Guyana, made several attempts to contact her father but the telephone went unanswered and she went to the Vigilance Police Station and made a report.In responding to the report, a team of Police ranks went to the house at Annandale with the daughter and there they found the senior Dabee lying face up with injuries to his right eye and to the back of his head.The Police have since confirmed that one of the rooms in the house was ransacked and from all indications, Dabee was killed during a robbery.In court on Tuesday, the matter was heard in camera. The teen was remanded to prison until October 8. The case was transferred to the Vigilance Magistrate’s Court.Outside of the court on Tuesday, relatives of Krishnachand Dabee gathered as they tried eagerly to get a glimpse of the teen’s face while shouting remarks at him for the gruesome act he reportedly committed.