The Carbon Trust adds loan boost

first_imgNew research by The Carbon Trust has revealed that lack of time and expertise to measure and reduce their carbon emissions is preventing the UK’s small and medium businesses from achieving business energy savings.While 63% of SME senior managers and directors surveyed realised they could reduce their carbon emissions through low- and no-cost energy-saving measures, more than two-thirds (69%) said their business had made no investment to reduce carbon emissions. Almost all (93%) of respondents said their company did not measure carbon emissions – citing lack of expertise as the key barrier.In response, it is launching an Energy Efficiency Loans campaign, which urges businesses to take action now and apply for an interest-free loan to replace or upgrade existing equipment to more energy-efficient versions. This year, The Carbon Trust has committed nearly £27 million to its Energy Efficiency Loans (EEL) scheme, almost double the amount available last year, to help SMEs reduce carbon emissions and cut costs.Michael Rea, Carbon Trust chief operating officer says this new research highlights the increasing awareness among SMEs of both the need to take action on climate change and the bottom-line opportunities available through making low-cost changes to their business. He says: “SMEs account for around 20% of the country’s overall emissions, so it is essential they are supported to act on climate change. We are significantly increasing our interest-free loans pool to help more businesses invest in new energy-efficient equipment, save money and cut their carbon footprint. We have also launched a range of new online tools, designed with SMEs in mind, to help them reduce their carbon emissions and cut costs.”The findings mirror the Federation of Small Business’ own research – that lack of resources and awareness remains a barrier to small businesses. “They know they have to do something, but are unclear about the next steps,” says John Holbrow, FSB environment and energy policy chairman.SMEs in England and Scotland or all businesses in Wales that have been trading for at least 12 months, could borrow from £5,000 to £100,000. Northern Ireland firms that have been trading for at least 12 months may be eligible to apply for an unsecured interest-free loan of up to £400,000.l For information visit: [http://www.carbontrust.co.uk/loans] or [http://www.carbontrust.co.uk/SME].last_img read more


SBA Lifts $500,000 Loan Cap

first_imgAdministrator Hector V. Barreto of the U.S. Small Business Administration lifted a 5-month cap on SBA-backed loans and invited participating lenders to resume submitting applications for guaranteed loans up to the $2 million statutory limit.The decision was made today after President Bush signed recently adopted legislation that allows the agency to implement its revised econometric subsidy model, which more accurately forecasts the actual costs of the 7(a) loan program. The model will be applied retroactively to the beginning of the current fiscal year.The econometric model, in combination with appropriation levels provided in the FY 2003 budget, will allow the agency to approve more the $9.4 billon 7(a) loans during the current year, plus $1.8 billon in STAR loans that have already been made.The decision to lift the loan cap is effective immediatelylast_img read more


Wellington Police Notes: Feb. 19, 2013

first_imgWellington Police Notes for Tuesday, February 19, 2013:•8:50 a.m. Officers took a report of Suspicious Activity in the 600 block. N. C, Wellington.•9:10 a.m. James D. Whitehead IV, 27, Wellington was arrested and confined on a Sumner County Bench Warrant for Probation Violation.•4:20 p.m. Officers investigated a burglary and theft in the 800 block E. 7th, Wellington.•7:30 p.m. Jennifer R. Sirmons, 28, Wellington was arrested on a city of Wellington bench warrant for failure to appear.•9:30 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the Wellington.•10:33 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 300 block S. Blaine, Wellington.•11:09 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 500 block N. Blaine, Wellington.last_img read more


Appeal Court dismisses AG’s case

first_img2010 Judicial Review Act– to pay respondent $150,000′The State was on Thursday ordered to pay $150,000 in court costs by the Appeal Court following Attorney General Basil Williams’s unsuccessful bid to continue refusing to comply with the order of acting Chief Justice Roxane George that the AG must bring the Judicial Review Act (JRA) into force.The Appeal Court’s decision was handed down by Justice Rafiq Khan, who dismissed an application that Williams filed to stay the execution of Justice George’s decision, which compelled the AG to enforce the Act by July 31, 2018.Applicants Solicitor General Kym Kyte and Deputy Solicitor General Debra KumarAttorney Anil Nandlallappeared for the State while Attorney Anil Nandlall was the respondent. After Justice Khan’s decision was announced, Nandlall explained that if Williams continued to refuse to comply with the acting Chief Justice’s order, contempt of court proceedings would be filed against the AG.According to the facts of the case, the National Assembly passed the Bill and it was assented to by the then President Bharrat Jagdeo since 2010. However, it was posited that the then Government never operationalised the Act, because the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) were not put into effect. The CPR came into effect in 2017, but the JRA was still not implemented by the current AG.Former Attorney General Nandlall had moved to the court to determine: whether the Minister had discretion to bring into force the JRA after the promulgation of CPR, whether the Minister had a duty to issue the order to bring into force the JRA, and whether the Court can compel the Minister to fulfil his duty.In December 2017, the acting Chief Justice had granted an Order Rue Nisi of Mandamus, directing Williams to show cause why the said Order Nisi should not be made absolute. Williams later mounted an appeal on June 13, 2018, having noted that there were serious issues regarding “judicial interference” with the powers of the Executive and the Court by the May 28, 2018 decision. He contended that the Judiciary attempted to govern from the bench and to usurp theAttorney General Basil Williamspower which was explicitly vested in the Legal Affairs Minister which he said was in breach of the doctrine of the separation of powers.In Williams’s appeal, which Justice Khan has rejected, he had outlined that acting Chief Justice George had “committed a specific illegality when by her ruling she purported to dictate to the Minister of Legal Affairs her own timelines to bring the Judicial Review Act into force in contravention of the doctrine of separation of powers and as such, exercised his discretion”.In addition, the appeal posited that the acting CJ committed a specific illegality when she failed to apply the overriding objective of the new CPR to deal with cases in the interest of the parties just and when she ruled that the applicant/appellant had breached a duty by not bringing the JRA into force.In his decision, Justice Khan reasoned that while there was separation of powers, the three arms of Government do not exist in separate bubbles. He highlighted that when Bills are passed in Parliament and are assented to, they become part of Guyana’s laws. The Appellate Judge noted that the JRA would seek to modernise the “archaic” Crown Office system and harmonise it with systems and procedures of the Caribbean Community (Caricom).The Court explained that it would be sensible to explain that the JRA was not enforced owing to CPR not being in place, but this was no longer the case. Justice Khan also observed that the applicant, the AG, did not explain how he would have suffered “irreversible hardship” if a stay was not granted. The Judge surmised in the case disposal that the applicant did not satisfy the Court that his appeal has any reasonable prospect of success.last_img read more