Alvarez-Golovkin rematch back on for September

first_imgJury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial MOST READ DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations FILE – Boxers Canelo Alvarez (L) and Gennady Golovkin pose with their promoters, trainers and actorhost Mario Lopez after a news conference at Microsoft Theater at L.A. Live to announce their upcoming rematch on February 27, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images/AFPCanelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin will square off in their highly-anticipated rematch on September 15 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, boxing promoter Oscar De La Hoya said on Wednesday.“I’m happy to inform that we have a fight September 15!!!!,” De La Hoya tweeted. ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Celtics’ Irving coy on possible reunion with LeBron China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls “In the first fight, it was a respectful promotion, but in the second fight, with the positive test and the way Gennady had to scramble to be able to fight on May 5, he is very edgy. Canelo is very edgy, so I think that’s going to get things heated up.”The final terms of the agreement or details of the purse split were not released.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film The two fighters had been due to fight each other in Las Vegas on May 5 before the middleweight bout was canceled after Alvarez failed two drugs tests.So unified middleweight world champion Golovkin instead fought Vanes Martirosyan on May 5 in a one-sided fight that ended in less than two rounds. Martirosyan, who hadn’t fought in nearly two years, lost by second-round knockout at StubHub Center in Los Angeles.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownGolovkin and Alvarez fought to a controversial draw in their first meeting in September in a fight that generated 1.3 million pay-per-view buys and a $27 million gate — the third largest in boxing history. Many thought Golovkin won the fight but one judge scored it even and the other two were split between giving it to Golovkin and Alvarez.With Alvarez free to fight once his six-month suspension ends in August, the two rivals had been expected to fight again in September. But talks stalled because Alvarez’s camp were reportedly not happy with middleweight world champion Golovkin’s insistence on receiving a 50/50 split in revenues.The announcement comes a week after De La Hoya said that the talks for a rematch had ended and that Alvarez would likely fight Daniel Jacobs instead.Mexico’s Alvarez, 27, resumed training recently for what will be his first fight in almost exactly a year.Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday that he believes a rematch will generate more interest than the first fight. “It’s a much bigger fight with all the controversy that has gone on and no love lost between the guys,” Loeffler said.ADVERTISEMENT View commentslast_img read more


Asian Cup: Azkals impress in loss to South Korea

first_imgNadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Philippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:35U.S. urges Japan, South Korea to share intel02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ ‘Yellow vest’ boxer arrested after assaulting French policeman As it stands, Korea and China lead the group with three points each. The Chinese came from behind to beat Kyrgyzstan, 2-1, in the other match. The Azkals travel to Abu Dhabi on Tuesday as they prepare for the clash against China set on Friday.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIEScenter_img Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title MOST READ Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college South Korea’s forward Jaesung Lee (up) heads the ball during the 2019 AFC Asian Cup football game between Korea Republic and Philippines at the al-Maktoum stadium in Dubai on January 07, 2019. (Photo by Giuseppe CACACE / AFP)DUBAI—The result was not ideal, but it was a memorable debut nonetheless for the Philippines in the AFC Asian Cup. The Azkals held their ground against powerhouse South Korea before conceding in the second half as they fell to a 0-1 defeat in their first AFC Asian Cup match at Al Maktoum Stadium here. ADVERTISEMENT Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Playing with laser-like focus against a side that regularly plays in the World Cup, the Azkals defended stoutly and looked dangerous on the counterattack for 65 minutes, before they were left undone by a classy finish from Hwang Uijo. The Korean striker turned and rifled the ball past Michael Falkesgaard, bringing relief to his side that struggled to break down the disciplined and well-drilled Azkals, who are the lowest ranked side in Group C at No. 116. FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissMichael Falkesgaard pulled off two big saves in the first half to keep the Azkals in the match, before Javier Patino had a couple of golden opportunities to put the Philippines in front. His best chance came early in the second half when he broke free on the left only to fire a tamed effort straight at Kim Seunggyu. Patino had a volley saved by Kim on the counter late in the second half.  View commentslast_img read more


Canada largely successful in managing economic immigration OECD study

first_imgStephanie Levitz, The Canadian Press OTTAWA — An international review of Canada’s economic immigration system suggests the country is doing well when it comes to how it selects and welcomes foreign workers.But the report from the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development suggests that some tweaks would be helpful to ensure the needs of the economy are actually being met.The OECD study comes as Quebec debates whether to slash the number of immigrants it accepts, and ahead of a federal election in which the immigration file is expected to be a major point of discussion.The organization reviewed how Canada recruits foreign labour — from the Express Entry program that sees the government effectively “invite” people to come to Canada permanently, to programs geared towards temporary workers.Their analysis is that the system is largely working, but point out flaws such as the fact that the screening policy leaves room for political tinkering and that too many professional credentials from outside the country are not recognized in Canada.The OECD released its report on Thursday alongside federal Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen, whose Liberal government made several changes to the Express Entry system initially designed by the previous Conservatives.The international body says some of the Liberal changes — such as reducing the number of points an applicant received for having a job offer — helped better align what the labour market requires and who is applying for entry.The study suggests, however, that there are still mismatches occurring in the way the system is run. For example, what gets an applicant into the pool of potential invitees doesn’t align with what leads to an invitation to immigrate, making it harder for areas with labour shortages to get the candidates they need. About 85,000 economic immigrants a year settle in Canada and whether that number is too high, too low, or just right is a frequent political flashpoint, linked at times to whether newcomers integrate successfully into the country.The Quebec government wants to cut the number of immigrants that province accepts, arguing that more work needs to be done to ensure they are matched with market need.Some business groups are arguing the planned intake numbers are far too low, and others have said the plan — which comes as Quebec also pursues a so-called values test for newcomers — is part of an anti-immigrant push.The OECD report did not specifically review Quebec’s immigration program. It operates independently of the federal system and other existing provincial systems for selecting economic immigrants.But it did find in general that newcomers directly recruited and settled by the provinces often have better outcomes than those who are welcomed via federal programs.Pledging to make the immigration system better and more responsive to labour market needs is a regular promise on the election campaign trail.The Conservatives have already promised that under their government, they would improve the credential recognition system.Among other things in the 2019 federal budget, the governing Liberals promised to make permanent a pilot project that fast-tracks the application process for certain kinds of employees.The OECD study suggested that the Global Skills Strategy does live up to its promise, and suggested it be used as a template to help speed up temporary labour programs for other categories.last_img read more