Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza to soon get petrol engine, to rival Hyundai Venue, Tata Nexon, Mahindra XUV300

first_imgThere is no doubt that Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza is currently the undisputed leader of the compact SUV segment. Since its launch in March 2016 in India, the carmaker has sold over four lakh units of Vitara Brezza. Also, the compact SUV enjoys monthly average sales of almost 14,675 units.Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza currently gets a 4-cylinder, 1.3-litre DDiS 200 engine only. This diesel powertrain produces 89 bhp and 200 Nm of torque. While the engine is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox, there is an option for a 5-speed AGS (Automatic Gear Shift) also. The compact SUV delivers a mileage of 24.3 kmpl, Maruti Suzuki India claims.Now, a report by Autocar India has claimed that Maruti Suzuki India is considering a petrol engine option for Vitara Brezza. In all likelihood, the petrol option will be the K15 Smart Hybrid engine that powers Maruti Suzuki Ciaz and the second-generation Maruti Suzuki Ertiga.The K15 Smart Hybrid petrol engine churns out 103 bhp and 138 Nm of torque in Ciaz as well as Ertiga. In both the vehicles, this engine is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox, with an optional 4-speed automatic transmission.Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza rivals the likes of Tata Nexon, Mahindra XUV300 and Ford Ecosport. The upcoming Hyundai Venue will also compete against Vitara Brezza. While Tata Nexon, Mahindra XUV300 and Ford Ecosport are available in both petrol and diesel options, we are expecting Hyundai Venue to have the two options as well.Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza is available in the price range of Rs 7.67 lakh and Rs 10.42 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi), while Tata Nexon is priced between Rs 6.48 lakh and Rs 10.90 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The price of Mahindra XUV300 ranges from Rs 7.90 lakh and Rs 11.99 lakh (ex-showroom, India) and that of Ford EcoSport from Rs 7.83 lakh and Rs 11.90 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). So far as Hyundai Venue is concerned, we are expecting it to be made available in the price range of Rs 8 lakh and Rs 12 lakh (ex-showroom).advertisementALSO READ | Ford Mustang sells 1,13,066 units in 2018, becomes world’s best-selling sports coupe for 4th straight yearALSO READ | Maruti Suzuki Ciaz sells over 46,000 units in Financial Year 2018-19ALSO READ | Tata Nexon XZ+ and Tata Nexon XZA+ get dual tone colour options, prices start at Rs 9.34 lakhlast_img read more


Malaysia exPM Najib pivotal in 1MDB plunder trial hears

first_imgKuala Lumpur: Malaysia’s ex-prime minister Najib Razak played a pivotal role in plundering state fund 1MDB and hundreds of millions of dollars were illicitly channelled to his bank account, a prosecutor said Wednesday at the opening of his biggest graft trial. Claims that Najib and his cronies pilfered massive sums from the fund and spent it on everything from real estate to artwork contributed to the defeat of his long-ruling coalition to a reformist alliance. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscal After losing power last year, the former prime minister was arrested and hit with dozens of charges related to 1MDB. He is expected to face several trials. The first started earlier this year but Wednesday’s is the biggest, with Najib accused of 21 counts of money-laundering and four of abuse of power, centring on allegations that he illicitly obtained 2.28 billion ringgit (USD 540 million) from 1MDB. Opening the trial, lead prosecutor Gopal Sri Ram said that Najib used an “elaborate charade” and played a “pivotal role” in plundering 1Malaysia Development Berhad, a fund established with the ostensible aim of boosting Malaysia’s economy. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boost “His objective was to enrich himself,” the prosecutor told the packed High Court in Kuala Lumpur, as he outlined how 1MDB funds were channelled in a “circuitous route” between 2011 and 2014 to Najib. Najib — who was also finance minister — put himself in “sole control” of the fund’s important affairs and used his position “to exert influence over the board of 1MDB to carry out certain abnormal transactions with undue haste”, he said. In August 2013, over two billion ringgit was sent to Najib’s account at a Malaysian bank before it was quickly transferred out again, according to the prosecutor. When news emerged of the looting, Najib sought to cover his tracks by producing “sham” documents that claimed the money was a donation from an Arab prince, Gopal said. “The accused took active steps to evade justice,” he added. The court also heard the former premier was the “mirror image” of fugitive financier Jho Low, who has been charged in both Malaysia and the United States, and the two men “acted as one” when it came to their dealings with 1MDB. Low, a chubby, bespectacled Malaysian jet-setter known for partying with Hollywood A-listers, held no official positions at 1MDB but exerted huge influence over its operations. The case relates to a crucial part of the 1MDB saga. When reports surfaced in 2015 that huge sums linked to the fund had flowed into Najib’s bank account, it dramatically ratcheted up pressure on the leader and he became increasingly authoritarian. The attorney-general later cleared Najib of any wrongdoing, saying the money was a personal donation from the Saudi royal family, and closed down domestic investigations. The 66-year-old, who was in court for the start of the trial, denies all the charges. Speaking after Wednesday’s proceedings, lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah said Najib “has been misled. Jho Low himself has misled many people, has misled the bank and misled 1MDB”. Najib faces up to 20 years in jail for each of the abuse of power charges and five years in jail for each of the counts of money-laundering. Four witnesses testified at Wednesday’s hearing, including three government officials and the former director of a digital services company paid to manage Najib’s online presence. Prosecutors wrapped up their case Tuesday in Najib’s first trial, which involves the theft of 42 million ringgit from a former unit of 1MDB. The judge will rule in November whether it is strong enough to continue. The US Department of Justice, which is seizing assets in America allegedly bought with looted 1MDB money, believes that USD 4.5 billion was stolen from the fund.last_img read more


TRIBUTE TO METOO FOUNDER TARANA BURKE AT 7TH TORONTO BLACK FILM FESTIVAL

first_imgCreated by the Fabienne Colas Foundation, the Toronto black Film Festival promotes diversity off and on screen and gives minorities a voice. Part ofTD’s 2019 Black History Month Series, #TBFF19 will kick off with Daryne Joshua’s ELLEN: THE ELLEN PAKKIES STORY (South Africa’s selection for the Golden Globes) as a Canadian Premiere and will close with the Ontario Premiere of DEAD WOMEN WALKING by Hagar Ben-Asher. For the first time, TBFF presents two center pieces: Jorge Navas’ WE ARE THE HEAT (SOMOS CALENTURA), and SPRINTER by Storm Saulter (executive produced by Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith).For its second year, The TBFF Kids Film Festival will return on Family Day (Feb 18) and opens with the amazing feature JIM BUTTON AND LUKE THE ENGINE DRIVER, by Dennis Gansel. TBFF is thrilled to be hosting a movie-talk with former American politician Bakari Sellers. Industry events will take place as part of TBFF Black Market which includes a Panel Discussion and Masterclass with filmmakers. Festival goers can cap off their day with the #TBFF19 late night live performances and satiate their cravings with exotic food at the first edition of the TBFF Food Experience.The 7th annual Toronto Black Film Festival, created by the Fabienne Colas Foundation, is presented by TD Bank in collaboration with Global News – from February 13 to 18, 2019 – at Isabel Bader Theatre, Carlton Cinema, Jackman Hall (AGO) and Art Square Gallery Café.All Access Passes & Tickets on sale now at TorontoBlackFilm.comFor full #TBFF19 programming and events, visit www.TorontoBlackFilm.comGet Social #TBFF19Facebook.com/torontoblackfilmfestival | Twitter @TOBlackFilmFest | Instagram @torontoblackfilmfestAbout the Toronto Black Film Festival, TBFFFounded by the Fabienne Colas Foundation, TBFF provides an opportunity for filmmakers from all ethnic backgrounds to shine the spotlight on authentic stories that reflect the realities of black experiences. Along with its sister festivals, the Montreal Black Film Festival (in its 15th year) and the Halifax Black Film Festival, TBFF showcases new voices in cinema and encourages audiences to see the world in new ways. Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Twitter Advertisement Advertisement Login/Register With: TORONTO, Jan. 23, 2019 – The 7th annual Toronto Black Film Festival (TBFF), presented by TD Bank in collaboration with Global News, announces the official program and events lineup running February 13 – 18, 2019. TBFF is honoured to welcome Tarana Burke, Me Too movement founder and one of Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people in 2018, who will receive the TBFF 2019 Social Impact Award during an intimate evening where she will share her journey as an activist and women rights advocate.#TBFF19 will present 4 World Premieres, 9 International Premieres, 1 North-American premiere, 30 Canadian Premieres and 23 Ontario Premieres. #TBFF19, Canada’s largest celebration of Black History Month through films and more, showcases over 70 films from 26 countries, including Jamaica, Germany, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Dominican Republic, South Africa, Tanzania, Ghana, Portugal, Colombia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Canada, USA and more. Facebooklast_img read more