All set for JII 2016

first_img PEFORMANCES EXPECTED Meet director and athlete liaison Donald Quarrie, in giving an overview at the JII launch at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston yesterday, said he is expecting high-level performances at this year’s meet. “We are not going anywhere. We will continue to be a power house meet. We have a few (athletes) who have dropped out, but we are looking forward to some great performances,” Quarrie said. Chairman of the organising committee and Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) president Dr Warren Blake said the one-day event has grown to world championship status. “The event started in 2004 and has grown to be one of the better rated one-day events in the world,” Blake announced. “We have more than half the athletes taking part coming from overseas. This year, we look to the Olympics, so we expect some good performances from the athletes,” he added. Minister of Culture, Gender Affairs, Entertainment and Sports, Olivia Grange said the event is a well-established brand locally. “With the Rio Olympic Games this year, the event is of great interest. We must ensure that our guests leave our shores pleased,” Grange said, “I’m excited by the galaxy of stars who will be performing on Saturday. The Government fully supports this world-class meet,” she added. Jamaica’s Olympic 100-metre champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, her training partner and World Championships 200m silver medallist Elaine Thompson, and outstanding American Tyson Gay are three of the global stars who will be on show at tomorrow’s 13th staging of the Jamaica International Invitational meet (JII) at the National Stadium. Gates are scheduled to open at 3:30 p.m., with the first event, the men’s javelin, set to start at 4:15. Also down to compete tomorrow are Shaunae Miller, who set a Bahamian 200m record of 22.14 seconds in winning the event last year ahead of Fraser-Pryce; Jamaica’s World Championships 4x400m gold medallists Stephenie Ann McPherson, Novlene Williams-Mills, Shericka Jackson, and Christine Day; and American 400m specialist Francena McCorory. Former world 100m record holder Asafa Powell and Nesta Carter are two of the top men for the sprints. However, World bronze medallist AndrÈ De Grasse of Canada, American hurdler Jasmin Stowers, and Jamaica-born 400m runner Sanya Richards-Ross have pulled out of the IAAF World Challenge meet. Richards-Ross opted out because she is not physically ready, while De Grasse and Stowers are injured.center_img POWERFULlast_img read more


Chambers, Martin top 5K Run

first_imgRyon Chambers and Arieta Martin topped the Pharmaceutical Society of Jamaica (PSJ), Kidney Support Foundation of Jamaica (KSFJ) and the Kiwanis Club of Constant Spring’s (KCCS)5K Run/Walk at the Police Officers’ Club on Hope Road on Sunday.Chambers, the overall winner, crossed the finish line at 16:33.34, followed by Andrew Gutzmore at 17:26.03 and Shambola Moore in third at 17:50.78.On the female side, Martin ran home in 20:29.26 ahead of Janetta Robinson (21:50.03)and Tammara Hucey Glaves (23:27.87).The male winner for the walk was AndrÈ Smith in 27:24.42, with Shane Pryce (28:06.40) and Vivian Lawes (30:17.83).one-year scholarshipPaula Sinclair took the walk in the female categoryin 32:24.76. Jodi Jackson, 37:22.01, came second, and Modupeola Abayoni, 37:57.43, was third.The winners and other competitors were awarded withtrophies and prizes from several corporate entities, such as University College of the Caribbean, with a one-year scholarship, which went to Wayne Williams; Dolphin Cove, Mystic Mountain with tickets to their properties; and many others, who provided gift baskets and other prizes.The organisers were pleased with the response from the public, as they will be able to address some of the issues based on income to be received from staging the event.The 5K Run/Walk was a joint event by PSJ, KSFJ and KCCS. It was the third staging for the Pharmaceutical Society of Jamaica and the second for Kidney Support Foundation of Jamaica. The beneficiaries will be the KSFJ and the KCCS ‘eliminate’ project aimed at pregnant women in Jamaica and worldwide, as the international project for Kiwanis across the world.last_img read more


Teen slapped with murder charge on 16th birthday

first_imgTimothy Vanmaalson, who turned 16 on Tuesday, was remanded to prison after he was charged for the murder of a 72-year–old and appeared at the Cove and John Magistrate’s Court.Vanmaalson was not required to plead to the indictable charge of murder when he stood before Magistrate Peter Hugh. It is alleged that the teen killed Krishnachand Dabee of Lot 149 Annandale South, East Coast Demerara, on August 27, 2018.Reports are the man’s body was discovered at about 19:00h on August 27, 2018, by his daughter and Police. Guyana Times had previously reported that the pensioner’s daughter, a lecturer at the University of Guyana, made several attempts to contact her father but the telephone went unanswered and she went to the Vigilance Police Station and made a report.In responding to the report, a team of Police ranks went to the house at Annandale with the daughter and there they found the senior Dabee lying face up with injuries to his right eye and to the back of his head.The Police have since confirmed that one of the rooms in the house was ransacked and from all indications, Dabee was killed during a robbery.In court on Tuesday, the matter was heard in camera. The teen was remanded to prison until October 8. The case was transferred to the Vigilance Magistrate’s Court.Outside of the court on Tuesday, relatives of Krishnachand Dabee gathered as they tried eagerly to get a glimpse of the teen’s face while shouting remarks at him for the gruesome act he reportedly committed.last_img read more


Public help needed to make oil refinery decision

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency has to decide if a federal environmental assessment is needed to go forward with the proposed Kitimat Clean Refinery project.To help make this decision, the agency is looking for the public’s input. They want the public’s opinion on the project itself as well as effects that they think it could have on the environment. Any written comments have to be submitted by June 7th 2016 and any comments submitted, will be considered public. – Advertisement -You can send comments to the addresses below: Kitimat Clean Refinery ProjectCanadian Environmental Assessment Agency410-701, West Georgia StreetVancouver, British Columbia V7Y 1C6Telephone: 604-666-2431Fax: 604-666-6990Email: KitimatCleanRefinery-RaffineriedeKitimatClean@ceaa-acee.gc.caKitimat Clean Ltd is wanting to build a new oil refinery 13 km away from Kitimat, British Columbia. It would include the refinery, a power-plant, a rail road, a marine terminal, as well as a bitumen storage facility. Advertisementlast_img read more


Newcastle 3-2 Everton: Toon edge out the Toffees in five-goal thriller

first_img Jack Colback celebrates his winning goal for Newcastle against Everton 1 Newcastle ended a run of three successive defeats as they beat Everton in a St James’ Park thriller.And it will have delighted manager Alan Pardew, who continues to defy his critics, as he saw his side recover from a bad start to claim all three points in front of their own fans.Everton had taken an early lead when Arouna Kone fired in at the near post following good work from Seamus Coleman, but it was an advantage they were unable to cling to as they slumped to a fourth defeat in five Premier League games.Papiss Cisse drew the Toon level with a neat finish from Mike Williamson’s pull-back, before Ayoze Perez drove home from 18 yards to edge the hosts in front.Jack Colback then capitalised on a mistake from Ross Barkley to make it 3-1 to the home side, and seemingly make the points safe.But the Toffees responded with a late rally and the home fans were left feeling nervous as Kevin Mirallas made the scoreline 3-2 with a neat clipped finish.But there was to be no fairytale ending to the year for Roberto Martinez as his side finished the year in the bottom half of the table.last_img read more


SPORTS STARS AMONG PEOPLE OF THE YEAR GONG WINNERS

first_imgTOP sports stars have been honoured at the Rehab Donegal People of the Year Awards.The inspirational Patsy McGonagle was named ‘Inspirational Person of the Year’ for all his incredible work for athletics and sport in general in the county.Donegal GAA team were Sports Team of the Year while county manager Jim McGuinness was named Trainer & Mentor of the Year. There was also a gong for the organisation committee of the North West 10k, which was named Fundraising Group of the Year.SPORTS STARS AMONG PEOPLE OF THE YEAR GONG WINNERS was last modified: November 27th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:People of the year awardslast_img read more


Valley Iranian decries remarks

first_imgTwenty-six years after fleeing Iran to escape the Muslim Revolution, Zia Atabay sees the oppressive traits of the Iranian government rising again. “I love that country,” said Atabay of Tarzana, who has been a U.S. citizen for eight of the 16 years he’s lived in America. “But these people, they are so fanatical and so dangerous and so narrow-minded. It’s getting worse and worse.” Like many Iranian Americans, Atabay cringed this week when Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad issued his call to “wipe Israel off the map.” Atabay, once an Iranian rock star and now TV host and chief operating officer of Woodland Hills-based National Iranian Television, blasted Ahmadinejad, saying he is dangerous to Iran and to the world. Friday, leaders from the local Jewish and Muslim communities condemned Ahmadinejad for his statement, although some Jewish leaders said their Muslim counterparts had to go further to prevent hatred from spreading. “This is a golden opportunity for Muslim leaders to condemn a statement which advocates genocide,” said Rabbi Harold Schulweis of Valley Beth Shalom. “I’m waiting for that response. I think I have read enough of the Quran to know that this president, this Iranian president’s statement, is a desecration of the name Islam.” Los Angeles has a large Iranian population, including many people – Muslims, Christians, Jews and atheists – who immigrated after the Muslim Revolution. “It saddens us to see what’s going on over there,” said one Iranian-American woman. “That’s the reason we’re here.” Muslim leaders were quick to point out that Ahmadinejad’s statement was not characteristic of the feelings of Muslim Americans, and most Muslim Americans distance themselves from the Middle East. “We cannot be hostage to acts or statements of people whom we cannot control,” said Maher Hathout, senior adviser to the Muslim Public Affairs Committee and spokesman for the Islamic Center of Southern California. “They don’t belong to us. We developed such a healthy relationship with the Jewish American community to reach the clear understanding that, whatever happens oversees, outside the U.S., should not affect the constructive dialogue that we are going through.” Leaders from both communities said Ahmadinejad’s statement could be used to improve relationships between the two groups. Schulweis suggested proactive efforts such as organizing events with Jewish and Muslim youth groups. But some were concerned that it could strain relations between the two groups. “On both sides, amongst the Jews and amongst the Muslims, there are those that believe in peace and justice,” said Nazir Khaja of the Islamic Information Service. “Then, there are those on both sides who use this as an excuse to point and say, ‘We cannot live in peace.’ There are people who deep down have such hatred. “Both sides of the coin are present within each community. It is up to the leadership of both sides to speak for what is right, the principles of justice.” Josh Kleinbaum, (818) 713-3669 josh.kleinbaum@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more


McGUINNESS GETS FULL BACKING OF PLAYERS AFTER MEETING TO DISCUSS FUTURE

first_imgJim McGuinness is on the verge of committing himself to another season as Donegal manager after he met with his players behind closed doors at the Mount Errigal Hotel in Letterkenny today.Jim McGuinness – received full backing of panel at secret meeting last night.The All-Ireland winning manager was told that he has the full support of his squad if he decides to stay on.Some of the players even revealed they would walk away if McGuinness decides to quit. The Glenties man, who has already received the backing of the Donegal County Board, is now expected to remain on as manager.A perfectly-placed source told Donegal Daily that support for McGuinness was unanimous amongst the panel.“Jim wanted to find out if there was any reservations amongst the panel about him staying on.“But he received unanimous support from the team down to the last man. “The overall message from the players is that they want to win Ulster again and go on and win another All-Ireland,” said the source.Many thought McGuinness may walk away from his post and concentrate on his role with Celtic FC.But it is understood he has spoken with Celtic manager Neil Lennon who also gave him the go-ahead to remain on as Donegal boss for another year.It is also believed McGuinness did not like the manner of the defeat by Mayo in the All-Ireland quarter final and by how many pundits have dismissed the team as a one season wonder.The County Board has an executive meeting on Monday evening. Sources say they expect McGuinness to honour is four-year agreement and to continue to manage Donegal.Jim is not expected to attend that meeting.McGUINNESS GETS FULL BACKING OF PLAYERS AFTER MEETING TO DISCUSS FUTURE was last modified: August 25th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Jim McGuinnessmeetingplayerssupportlast_img read more


Residents’ rights compromised at Donegal disability unit

first_imgA new HIQA report into a disability unit in Inishowen has found that residents had their rights to privacy, dignity and control over their personal finances compromised.The James Connolly Memorial Residential Unit in Carndonagh had a number of issues of non-compliance during an inspection by the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) this June. The centre was non-compliant with 10 out of 16 regulations.Sixteen residents were living at the centre at the time of inspection. The inspector found that residents’ rights to their own property was restricted. Residents had inadequate control over their finances and were only permitted to keep €25 in their individual wallets or purses. If they required over €25 (for example to buy clothes or avail of an outing), they had to put in a request with management.Also, residents could not access services of interest to them across the border in the same way as their peers. One resident who particularly liked swimming had not been supported to go on swimming in the last two years, even though a public swimming pool was available to use in Derry city.Residents also liked to avail of overnight stays in hotels and go on holidays; however, the report said that activities such as these were not being adequately provided for.While staff were seen to be attentive and warm with residents at all times, the report ruled that the quality and safety of care provided to the residents required review and improvement. While residents’ healthcare and medical needs were being comprehensively provided for, they were not being supported to have meaningful and active lives in their community, the premises were institutional in design (and this was impacting negatively on residents’ rights to privacy and dignity) and the process of managing risk required review.Residents were also subject to a number of institutionalised practices which impacted negatively on their rights and freedoms as citizens. The design and layout did not provide a homelike environment and impinged on residents’ rights to privacy and dignity.There was inadequate private accommodation available to residents and a number of residents had no alternative but to sleep in dormitories (with four male residents sharing one dormitory and five female residents sharing the other).Parts of the building were deemed inappropriate, such as broken thermostats on radiators and a leaking ceiling in the dining room, where staff were required to collect rainwater in buckets so as to ensure the dining room floor did not flood.The report noted that a number of improvements were planned at James Connolly Memorial Residential Unit, including the upgrading of the dormitory style bedrooms. A second inspection took place at the unit in August 2019, when the inspector reported new systems were put in place to meet the assessed social care needs of the residents and give them more regular access to the community.Residents’ rights compromised at Donegal disability unit was last modified: December 6th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more


Tomas Hertl’s huge game lifts Sharks past Avalanche in Game 5

first_img[vemba-video id=”van/sc/2019/05/05/bang_b3b04cfa-8877-492f-8c7d-f65110b083d0″]SAN JOSE — Tomas Hertl scored his first two goals of the second round and Martin Jones turned in another stellar performance to help give the Sharks a come-from-behind 2-1 win over the Colorado Avalanche in Game 5 of their series at SAP Center on Saturday.Jones finished with 21 saves, including seven in a frantic third period, as the Sharks moved to within one win of advancing to the Western Conference finals for …last_img read more