Faugheen took the drop back in distance in his stride as he made all the running and demolished the opposition in the Herald Champion Novice Hurdle. Faugheen was left to come home unchallenged by 12 lengths from his stablemate Valseur Lido, with the Mick Channon-trained Sgt Reckless third. Paddy Power promoted the winner to 5-1 co-favourite for next year’s Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham. Mullins said: “Vautour (Supreme Novices’ Hurdle winner) failed a late fitness test, he wasn’t right at the time of declaration so we put Faugheen in instead. On that ground I thought he was very, very good. “We’re not making any decisions on him, but you would have to consider staying over hurdles next season. “This trip is good enough as he is a keen horse who likes to get on with the job.” Walsh said: “The lad who rides him every day said he’d blow you away and he did. “I was fairly adamant the run in Cheltenham would improve him a hell of a lot, jumping-wise. “He’d won soft races and never been tested and today he jumped like a buck down the back. When I opened him up turning in, away he went. “It was a fair gamble dropping him back to two. It will have Willie scratching his head now. “Willie had been keen on him going jumping, we’re having a debate with what we are going to do with three or four of them, but you’d like to think he’d be in the mix.” Walsh added: “Those were good novices behind and he’s beat them by 12 lengths and it could’ve been 25. He’s a really good horse. “When I changed my hands off the home turn he started to lengthen and he was picking up to a fair rate of knots coming to the last. “He and Vautour are two different types, but the good thing is Willie Mullins trains the two of them, Rich Ricci owns the two of them, so I won’t have to worry about who to pick because they won’t run against each other!” Tackling two miles for the first time over timber, the unbeaten Willie Mullins-trained six-year-old jumped much better than he did when winning the Neptune Investment Management Novices’ Hurdle at Cheltenham. Ruby Walsh never had an anxious moment as the 1-2 shot asserted on the home turn and sealed victory by completing an almost foot-perfect round with a good jump at the last. Press Association
On Wednesday morning, Dino Babers spoke publicly for the first time since two of his players were allegedly stabbed by former teammate Naesean Howard on Saturday evening. The first-year SU head coach said defensive back Chauncey Scissum is still in the hospital and he hopes that Scissum will be released later this week, while defensive back Corey Winfield was released on Monday.In response to an article posted on Syracuse.com Wednesday morning that cited a source saying Babers told the team to not wear any Syracuse gear in public since Howard’s “people” may still be lurking around campus, Babers heavily refuted that.“The thing about the meeting was correct. Everything else written in the article was incorrect and inaccurate,” Babers said. “I actually told them to put their Syracuse ‘S’ on and wear it proudly around campus.”Babers confirmed that earlier in the year, Howard approached him in the parking lot adjacent to Manley Field House and started a conversation. The head coach said Howard said, “’Hey, I would like to join the football team,’” to which Babers responded, “’Who are you?’”Babers then told Howard he had to go through a standard background check for walk-ons in order to be given a shot, but eventually that background check wasn’t satisfactory enough for the new staff to offer Howard a chance to walk on.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“Everybody has a right to change … but patterns are something that you try to stay away from and we just decided as a staff the pattern was too strong,” Babers said. “It’s not a right to be on a football team … it’s a privilege.”MORE COVERAGE:Witness details alleged stabbing, South Campus partyDefensive back Corey Winfield out of hospital 2 days after stabbing incidentCourt documents: Naesean Howard stabbed SU football players multiple times The Tuesday morning meeting with the team wasn’t prompted by the stabbing, Babers said, and that he holds a meeting at 8 a.m. every Tuesday in the offseason. This one just happened to be the first after Winfield and Scissum were allegedly stabbed and there were no specific safety instructions given based on Saturday evening’s events.“You can’t live life looking over your shoulder,” Babers said. “I think these young men will be just fine.”Howard is due back in court at 10 a.m. on Friday. Both players he allegedly stabbed are doing well, Babers said, and when asked about Howard, Babers never mentioned him by name.“It’s a blessing both of these young men are still with us,” Babers said. Comments Published on April 20, 2016 at 12:03 pm Contact Matt: firstname.lastname@example.org | @matt_schneidman Facebook Twitter Google+ Related Stories Witness details alleged stabbing, South Campus partySyracuse DB Corey Winfield out of the hospital 2 days after allegedly being stabbed by former teammateCourt documents: Naesean Howard stabbed SU football players multiple timesSyracuse football DBs Corey Winfield and Chauncey Scissum allegedly stabbed by former teammate Naesean Howard
“Our message to each other going into Game 6 is, yes, we would have loved to have come in win four straight or close it out tonight,” he said. “[It] doesn’t change what the goal is. The goal is to win four games, move on to the next series and start it all over again.”And as much as we hate this feeling we have of leaving the court tonight after Game 5, the goal is still the same. So again resiliency, we talk about that all the time, it should be there on Friday.”Despite the loss, Curry did manage to reach another landmark as he became the first player to surpass 400 career postseason 3-pointers. NBA playoffs 2019: Rockets’ Clint Capela explains why he wants to face Warriors in Round 2 Stephen Curry wants to erase all memories of the Warriors’ Game 5 loss Wednesday to a Lou Williams-led Clippers team.Williams put up 33 points as LA pulled the series back to 3-2 with a 129-121 road win at Oracle Arena. Steve Kerr calls Damian Lillard’s game-winner against Thunder a ‘good shot’ It was a contest in which the Warriors, seeking a third straight NBA title, failed to match their usual intensity.In contrast, Williams was evidently in the mood and his display won begrudging praise from Curry, who would rather forget all about the game. Related News “Numbers don’t lie,” Curry said on the subject of how the Warriors had dealt with Williams. “The matter of our intensity or our lack of intensity to start the game kind of came back to bite us.”They had confidence all throughout their rotation early. And they fed off that in the second half.”[Williams is] obviously an X-factor for them and the main catalyst in terms of momentum swings because he can get going really quick.”Curry added: “It’s one of those nights that we’ve got to erase from our memory quick.”Stephen Curry becomes the only player in NBA history to knock down 400 career postseason threes. pic.twitter.com/eDOgWrZbwo— Golden State Warriors (@warriors) April 25, 2019Steve Kerr’s team will now look to finish the job Friday in Los Angeles, and Curry is confident the Warriors will bounce back.