Head coach of Jamaica’s Under-23 men’s football team, Miguel Coley, noted that off-the-field issues may have disrupted the team and its focus, as they ultimately lost the opportunity to advance in the Olympic qualification at the weekend.The team left the island last week full of confidence in making it to the final round of the CONCACAF Olympic qualifiers. However, needing to win their semi-final against Cuba to guarantee themselves one of the two spots in the CONCACAF final round, the team lost 2-1.They rallied to win the third-place match against St Vincent and the Grenadines 3-2, but by then it was too little, too late.One source revealed that the players were involved in a money dispute, which may have affected their performance. The source revealed that the players’ per diem was reduced from their first-round travels to St Lucia in June, causing the dispute a day before the Cuba game.represent with prideColey said it affected their mindset.”We are always going to have situations, but there are situations you don’t want before the day of a game, as it is always difficult to get back the mindset to go out and represent your country,” Coley admitted.”We have to channel these players in the right way and let them know their country is more than anything and the pride and passion to represent your country need to be looked at at all levels, so when players come in, they know how to wear the national colours with pride,” he commented.”This tournament wasn’t about money; it was an opportunity for them (players) to earn more money if they had gone to CONCACAF (final round) or the Olympics. So it is not an immediate gratification, it’s what is there for the future, and this is unacceptable and we have to move on from here,” he stated.Coley said he hopes a system will be put in place to prevent a recurrence.”I had to get into their heads and let them see the importance of representing their country and what they can achieve in the future,” he pointed out. “But whatever issue there is, it is good to put it on the table very early.”It was unacceptable from young aspiring players, and we don’t want this trend to continue,” said Coley.- L.S.
The most severe winds were expected this morning, blowing at strengths of between 15 and 30 miles per hour, with gusts of 40 mph. In Los Angeles County, the areas subject to the warning included mountain regions, even the Santa Monica Recreational Area near the coast, plus the Angeles National Forest and the San Fernando, San Gabriel and Santa Clarita valleys. In Ventura County, areas under warning were the county’s mountains, interior and coastal valleys and the Los Padres National Forest. Also under a Red Flag Warning were the Palomar and Descanso Ranger Districts of the Cleveland National Forest in the San Diego County portion of the Santa Ana Mountains, plus San Diego County’s inland valleys; the Mountain Top and Front Country ranger districts of the San Bernardino National Forest in San Bernardino County; and, in Riverside County, the San Jacinto ranger district of the San Bernardino National Forest and the Trabuco Ranger district of the Cleveland National Forest. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A Red Flag Warning indicating a high risk of wildfire was in effect today in the mountains, forests and valleys of five Southern California counties. The warning, initially issued by the National Weather Service on Saturday and scheduled to expire last night, was extended until 8 tonight because of gusty Santa Ana Winds combined with exceedingly low humidity levels. The warning was in effect in Los Angeles, Ventura, San Diego Riverside and San Bernardino counties. “A combination of strong winds, low relative humidity and warm temperatures will create explosive fire growth potential,” according to an NWS advisory, which forecast humidity levels of between 10 and 20 percent.