Related Stories 3 observations from the Syracuse football spring gameSyracuse football recruiting: Track the Class of 2016Adam Dulka discusses why he committed to SyracuseClass of 2016 Ohio linebacker Zack Lesko commits to Syracuse as preferred walk-on Published on April 9, 2016 at 6:50 pm Contact Sam: email@example.com | @Sam4TR Syracuse picked up its second preferred walk-on this week with Worcester (Massachusetts) Academy, Class of 2016 running back Otto Zaccardo.Zaccardo, who announced his commitment via Twitter on Friday night, said he was recruited primarily by new defensive quality control coach, John Pike. Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder textZaccardo graduated from Lincoln-Sudbury Regional (Massachusetts) High School in 2014 as the school’s top rusher on the football team and a leader on the undefeated track and field team. He spent his post-graduate year at Worcester Academy.The running back, who was listed at 5-foot-10 and 180 pounds on Hudl.com in 2015, joins a new Orange offense that plans to be much more up-tempo than in years past and ran 155 plays in the spring game. Zaccardo’s Hudl bio also lists his 40-yard dash time at 4.56 seconds.He is the third walk-on to commit to Syracuse since new head coach Dino Babers’ hiring and the fifth player to join the Orange since National Signing Day. Track the Class of 2016 here.He joins a roster that has six running backs already, but none that are freshmen. Syracuse has four sophomores (Jacob Hill, Dontae Strickland, Jordan Fredericks and Tyrone Perkins), one junior (Ervin Philips) and one senior (George Morris).Strickland led the ground attack in Syracuse’s spring game on April 2, followed by freshman Moe Neal, who is listed as a wide receiver, and Fredericks. Facebook Twitter Google+
Melbourne, Australia | AFP | Serena Williams will make her return to the Australian Open for the first time since winning in 2017 when eight-weeks pregnant, it was confirmed Wednesday, with virtually all the world’s top 100 players due at Melbourne Park.That includes injury-prone Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray.Williams returned from giving birth to her first child to reach the 2018 Wimbledon and US Open finals, but suffered upset losses in both to leave her stuck on 23 major wins.Australian Open organisers said she was among the entries for the opening Grand Slam of the year as she attempts to equal Margaret Court’s record of 24.Her appearance will mark her first major since her controversial rant at an umpire during the US Open final loss to Naomi Osaka, which overshadowed the Japanese star’s biggest ever win.In the aftermath, Roger Federer said Williams “went too far”.“Serena Williams, currently ranked 16, will make her highly anticipated return to Melbourne for the first time since winning in 2017 when eight-weeks pregnant with baby Alexis Olympia,” said tournament organiser Craig Tiley. The evergreen Federer will be back to defend his title, along with long-time adversary Novak Djokovic. Caroline Wozniacki defends the women’s crown.Organisers said the world’s top 102 women and top 101 men have all confirmed they will be playing.The only top-100 absentee from the women’s draw is 74th-ranked Agnieszka Radwanska of Polandwho recently announced her retirement.“It’s always special to see our defending champions — Caroline had her first Grand Slam win here last year so will be keen to start 2019 on a high,” said Tiley.“And of course Roger Federer has special memories of Melbourne, having won here six times, something only Novak (Djokovic) and Roy Emerson have done in the past.“I’ve been in touch with Rafa and he’s back to full fitness after cutting his season short after Paris and can’t wait to arrive in Australia,” he added.Share on: WhatsApp
On Thursday, Martin County officials announced the first confirmed case of the coronavirus on the Treasure Coast.Officials with the Florida Department of Health in Martin County say the case was confirmed through a drive-through Cleveland Clinic testing site, and it is a travel-related case.The patient is currently in good condition and in self-quarantine.A local epidemiology team has been in contact with the patient.
The filing calls for all the charges to be dropped by the time of Thao’s next court hearing on Sept. 11. He is currently out on a $750,000 bond.Thao and fellow officers, 27-year-old J Alexander Kueng, and 36-year-old Thomas Lane, were all charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter over Floyd’s death.Meanwhile, 44-year-old Chauvin, is charged with murder.All four were fired as Minneapolis officers, after video emerged of Floyd’s arrest as he repeatedly said, “I can’t breathe,” sparking weeks of nationwide protests and social unrest. One of the ex-Minneapolis police officers who is charged over George Floyd’s fatal arrest is fighting to have his case dropped, arguing that he had no way of knowing his colleagues were going to “commit a crime,” court documents reveal.Tou Thao, who appears on the video of the incident as the officer who was keeping back spectators as Officer Derek Chauvin knelt on Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes, filed papers on Wednesday arguing that the charges were “not supported by probable cause.”His attorney, Robert Paule, believes that prosecutors have failed to show that 34-year-old Thao, “knew former officer Derek Chauvin and others were going to commit a crime and intended his presence or actions to further the commission of that crime.”The complaint against him also “fails to establish by probable cause that Mr. Thao had the requisite mental state for aiding and abetting,” Wednesday’s filing adds.